Safety First is Top Priority
If you smell gas in your home (propane is scented with harsh smell like rotten eggs), follow these steps:
- No Sparks or Flames. Put out all smoking materials and other flames. Do NOT operate lights, appliances, phones, or even cell phones – they could trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Leave the Area Immediately. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- Shut off the Main Gas Supply if it is safe to do so. Usually the propane tank is located well away from the home. See the diagram.Locate the propane tank’s shutoff valve. It’s located under the small cover on top of the tank. Turn it clockwise to shut off. An earthquake can cause gas line damage. Find the location of the shutoff before an emergency.
- Report the Leak. Go to a neighbor’s home or use your cell phone once you are well away from the area and call your propane dealer. If you are unable to reach your propane retailer, call 911 to reach the fire department.
- Do Not Return to the Building or Area until your propane dealer or emergency responder or qualified service technician says it’s safe.
- Get Your System Checked before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances. Your propane retailer or a qualified service technician – like us – should check your entire system to ensure it’s leak-free.
Call us to Service your Gas Line Before an Emergency
After checking for leaks, we can show you where the main turn off valve is located. Each of your gas appliances also includes a turn off valve for turning off the gas to just that specific appliance. We can show you where each one is located and how to turn it off.